St Brelades Church

  • St Brelades Church
  • St Brelades Church

St Brelades Church

£ 495.00 GBP

Excludes Tax and Delivery

ST. BRELADE’S CHURCH

This beautiful bay was chosen for the site of the first Christian church erected on the Island, and consecrated in the year 1111. In its cemetery is a small chapel [la chapelle es pescheurs] of a still earlier date ; simple and unadorned, it is only remarkable for its antiquity and a curious fresco painting on the roof, now nearly effaced, but possessing much interest to the student of early art. the situation of the church is most romantic; the ancient churchyard, fringed with rugged elms and washed by the sea, which every tide beats against the mouldering wall, gives it a character distinct from that of every other religious building on the island. The fine sands, transparent water, and fantastic rocks, however, constitute the peculiar charm of this bay.

In the Drawing on the right is seen the church, its trees, and old sea-wall; and a little beyond is a rude harbour for fishing-boats, left dry by the receding tide, whilst the cavernous point of “La fret,” seen through a passing shower, gleams in the sunlight.

Limited to 500 prints

For more information visit our website